There are Smoke and Soot Residues in My Home after a Fire. How Can I Remove Them?
Removing smoke damage is difficult. Trust the SERVPRO professionals to restore your home.
Hire SERVPRO Technicians to Perform Fire Restoration in Your Wilmington Residence
Soot and smoke residues may seem easy to clean, but specialized skills and advanced products are required to ensure a sufficient job. Therefore, it is essential to let professionals handle the fire restoration process in your Wilmington home to avoid costly secondary damage.
Why do I need to hire professionals?
The soot and smoke residues left behind after a fire are hazardous and can cause significant damages, including health problems to residents if not appropriately handled. Our SERVPRO team has the expertise and equipment required to perform fire restoration in your Wilmington home. We can assess the fire damage to determine the cost of recovery and to select the proper restoration techniques and equipment.
What secondary damages can soot and smoke residues cause?
It is essential to begin the fire restoration process quickly after extinguishing a fire since secondary damage can start immediately. The damage can cause costly repairs if ignored for an extended period. Some secondary damage can be irreversible, and it can raise restoration costs. Other damage like smoke odor can last for years in your home. The possible secondary damage that can result from smoke residues includes:
- Discoloration of walls and ceilings.
- Discoloration of kitchen appliance finishes.
- Tarnishing of metal.
- Etching of glass.
Can you remove soot from wood surfaces?
SERVPRO technicians have the skill and decades of experience in the restoration industry. We also have access to state-of-the-art equipment, tools, and products that help us deal with fire damage of any magnitude. Soot and smoke residues can settle on wooden surfaces, like kitchen and bathroom cabinets, shelves, furniture, and wood floors. These surfaces can be challenging to clean without the right products and skills.
Our team of technicians can restore these surfaces to their preloss state. Using a white towel to apply the product on the surfaces, we can use wood crème paste to clean wood surfaces with yellowing and soot and smoke residues. We use a white towel to apply the product on the covers and let it work for around three minutes. Our restorers then use a steel pad to scrub the affected surfaces in a circular motion until the area is clean.
What about the charcoal-like odor that is in my home?
Odors can make it difficult for you to live in the property. We use various professional products to deodorize affected homes. For instance, our restorers can use a ULV mister to apply a water-based wet mist deodorizer to the affected areas. A ULV mister produces a fine fog or mist that allows the chemical to get into surface cracks and crevices where smoke odors are present and eliminate them.
When you need fire restoration services, contact SERVPRO of Hockessin / Elsmere at (302) 992-0104. We provide fast fire damage restoration services in Hockessin, Newport, and Elsmere.
More about Wilmington.
What Can I Do to Prevent HVAC Water Damage in My Home?
SERVPRO can mitigate your Wilmington home water damages. We use the most updated equipment out there.
SERVPRO Professionals Mitigate HVAC System-Related Water Damage in Wilmington Residences
Water damage claims over the last five years have averaged almost $8,000 and are the second most common form of property damage, based on Insurance Information Institute data. Wilmington homeowners can identify and rectify water damage quickly in many cases. However, some incidents, especially relating to areas of the home that require professional servicing like HVAC systems, need a licensed team to handle the cleanup.
SERVPRO is a team you can count on for HVAC water damage cleanup in Wilmington at any time of the day or night, including weekends and holidays. If areas of your home require further restoration after cleanup, your local SERVPRO is licensed to render general and residential contracting services (license #1992104829).
How to SERVPRO Tools Remove Home Water Damage?
- Extraction equipment is more efficient than drying alone. Extracting water with specialized tools is as much as 500 times more effective than relying solely on structural drying for water damage mitigation.
- Calculated placement of air movers and dehumidifiers prevents secondary damages. SERVPRO techs are trained to do the following in a water damage situation:
- Carefully measure the moisture content of affected surfaces
- Extract moisture without
- Calculate placement for air movement and dehumidification equipment
- EPA-registered antimicrobials eliminate mold risk. Sanitation is another critical element of water damage mitigation that removes mold and mildew risk while rectifying odors. A multitude of sanitation and deodorization methods are available, including sprays, fogging, manual cleaning, and injection systems for carpeting.
Tips for Changing Your HVAC Filters
- How does changing the filter prevent water damage? Regular filter changes are not only beneficial for your indoor air quality. This routine maintenance task can also prevent your air conditioning from overworking to maintain comfortable temperatures in your home. An overworked air conditioning system can freeze and then defrost moisture on the evaporator coils, which can create water damage in your Wilmington home’s HVAC system.
- How often should you change your filter? This can vary based on the type of filter you use and what is needed for your specific HVAC system. Typical replacement intervals for filters are monthly and semi-annually.
Another factor that affects how often you need to replace your filter is how frequently you use your HVAC system. Prevent HVAC issues by checking on your filter regularly before replacing it.
- What type of filter should you use? High-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters set the standard for high indoor air quality. Check the manual for your system to determine the specific type of filter you need. Depending on the filter’s placement, a professional may need to change the filter for you. Call a trusted contractor for filter changes if it is located in your furnace or air handler.
Maintenance Tasks for Your Condensation Drain Line
The condensation drain line is another area where water damage can develop. Here is what you can do to lower the risk of this happening:
- Check the line opening while your AC is running to ensure that water is flowing to the drain. The level of flow is contingent on the humidity levels in your home.
- Is the pipe appropriately oriented? A drain line that is out of alignment can cause water damage because of this.
- Are both the drain line and the emergency drain line adequately connected and installed? Mechanical failures can stem from even small deviations from manufacturer instructions. Double-check the drain lines to ensure nothing is out of place or damaged.
- Clear out the AC drainage holes regularly. This can be done with something as simple as a paperclip. Poke the drainage hole at the cabinet’s base, typically located underneath the evaporator fins. Clearing out these drainage holes prevents water from accumulating and potentially damaging your system.
- Flush out the drain line once or twice a year with an algaecide, which inhibits both algae and mold growth in your HVAC system. Commercial solutions and bleach are both useful for this purpose.
SERVPRO Restores Your HVAC System
SERVPRO technicians can handle a variety of cleanup and restoration tasks for your HVAC system and surrounding structural materials, including:
- Partial disassembly of sheet metal vents for thorough disinfection with EPA-registered antimicrobials.
- Coated fiberboard and flex duct vents may require removal after water damage exposure and are typically more cost-effective to replace than repair.
- The insulation lining your vents can also be examined and replaced.
SERVPRO of Hockessin / Elsmere is only a phone call away from rendering mitigation services that are Faster to Any Size Disaster. Call (302) 992-0104 for professional cleanup that comes when you need it.
My Auto Body Shop is Flooded, Now What?
This is one of our team members ready to meet your water damage restoration needs.
Calling SERVPRO for Commercial Water Damage Helps You Get Your Wilmington Shop Back to Pre-Loss Condition
If heavy rains and road flooding leave a fair amount of water in your body shop, prompt action needs taking to limit the loss. You may have parts stored from floor to ceiling and other essential business components that you must salvage. Our staff at SERVPRO has the resources and technology to ensure you have the rapid response necessary to get back up and running quickly.
What Actions Must Be Taken to Clean the Flooding?
We are the experts you want on your side when you have commercial water damage in Wilmington. Our crews are ready to go 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for emergency water cleanup so that we can make the inside of your business "Like it never even happened." We know how essential it is to limit business interruption while also cutting back on the potential for secondary damage.
Once our crew comes in to assess the flood zone, measures taken might include:
- Standing water removal with professional-grade extractors and truck-mounted pumps. We also take the time to check for moisture hidden under shelving, behind walls, and within cabinets with our moisture detection tools.
- We strategically place a set number of air movers and industrial-strength dehumidifiers to absorb moisture from the building's air.
- Any files or paperwork in the loss zone get inspected by our team, including any damaged packages or boxes from parts and other auto body essentials. Each item gets thoroughly logged to have a detailed inventory for your records and your insurance claim.
We understand that commercial water damage can be a massive blow to any business, but our team at SERVPRO of Hockessin/Elsmere shines. Call (302) 992-0104, and we deploy a crew to your location as soon as possible.
More about Wilmington.
Can Water Damage Hurt My Tile Floors in my Wilmington home?
For assistance dealing with water, fire, or flood damage, contact SERVPRO of Hockessin / Elsmere.
Yes, Water Can Harm All Types of Flooring in Wilmington
Usually, after a leak in a kitchen or bathroom, homeowners are concerned with soaked carpeting or warped hardwood floors, but water can cause damage to tile and laminate too. If there are any cracks or imperfections in the flooring, water can seep through and cause damage to both the outer layer of flooring and the subflooring underneath.
How Do You Stop Water from Doing More Damage?
SERVPRO Restoration Specialists Work Quickly to Mitigate Secondary Damage
With most water damage cases in Wilmington, time is of the essence. The longer excess moisture sits on your floors, the more damage may incur. Sometimes, you may not know that moisture got under your flooring until you see or feel movement, or worse yet until you notice a smell caused by mold colonies. Having professionals come and scope damage right after the leak is the best way to stop any long-term damage before it starts.
What Are Some Things SERVPRO Technicians Do to Avoid Ripping Our Flooring?
• Thoroughly remove water with extraction equipment and dry the room with air movers and dehumidifiers.
• Use injectidry drying equipment to direct air under flooring.
• Reach and dry flooring from crawl spaces or basement underneath.
• Testing that floors are adequately dried through using moisture meters.
The goal is to restore your flooring over requiring a costly replacement. Our knowledge, coupled with our specialty equipment and skills, provides superior restoration services. Our IICRC (Institute of Inspection Clean and Restoration Certification) specialists work with you to use the best strategies for your damage situation. Our goal is to make it, “Like it never even happened.”
For assistance dealing with water, fire, or flood damage, contact SERVPRO of Hockessin / Elsmere (General Contractor #1992104829) at (302) 992-0104.
For more about Wilmington click here.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned – a defensive cleaning program
Our defensive cleaning program gives your business a way forward by providing your employees and customers ongoing safety and assuredness.
Let us help you get back to business
As our communities re-open in Wilmington, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of Hockessin / Elsmere today at (302) 992-0104 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
Protecting Hockessin Businesses With Pandemic Preventative Cleaning Services
SERVPRO disinfects (homes or buildings) beyond the scope of a standard weekly cleaning.
Specially trained Technicians are Working to Protect Your Employees and Customers
According to the Restoration Industry Association (RIA) and the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) latest reports, the most effective means of controlling the transfer of viruses from surfaces is to strictly follow CDC guidelines concerning the proper cleaning and application of EPA-registered, hospital-grade disinfectants.
SERVPRO is well-versed in applying EPA-registered disinfectants to ensure effective pandemic preventative cleaning for Hockessin businesses and homes. SERVPRO crews are available to serve the local community 24/ 7, working together to reduce risks to our community.
Because the current viral outbreak is a public health concern, it takes everyone in the community participating in conservative safety measures to reduce the risk of infection. Let’s all remember to:
- Wash our hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Make sure our dishes, appliances, doorknobs, and touchpoints are kept clean
- Stick to social distancing protocols when possible
When it comes to cleaning, we encourage you to consider talking to a professional to discuss the options and advanced level of services that are available to you.
SERVPRO of Hockessin / Elsmere would be pleased to answer your question and discuss a one-time or routine program that might be best for you. Call (302) 992-0104.
To learn more about Hockessin, click here.
Advice from the medical and scientific community regarding how to deal with the coronavirus is based on present knowledge, which is subject to change as the situation continues to develop. There can be no assurance that disinfectants alone will be adequate to fully eliminate the virus. We are not physicians or infectious disease professionals. Consult your medical professionals for individual medical advice.
How Do I Handle a Roof with a Hole from a Fire Until Repairs in Wilmington Can Get Made?
Fire damage can displace families in the most severe cases. Contact SERVPRO to mediate the damage to make sure this doesn’t happen to your family.
SERVPRO technicians arrive quickly and perform temporary repairs to stop any further loss from occurring in your Wilmington home
After a fire in Wilmington, it is not uncommon for doors to either get stuck shut or suddenly be unable to close completely due to warping and swelling of the doorframe. Flames can quickly eat holes in the roof or walls, and windows may break from heat, pressure, or fire fighting efforts. When SERVPRO technicians handle restoration services in local properties affected by fire loss, one of the first actions they take is to secure the property with such tactics as:
- Boarding up doors
- Securing windows
- All entrances get secured
- Security fencing may get erected if deemed necessary
- Tarping over damaged roofing or windows to protect the home from the elements during mitigation
Interior Clearing Out Serves Two Purposes
As SERVPRO techs remove charred items from the interior of the home with fire damage in Wilmington, they also inspect each thing removed for the potential for restoration through various cleaning methods. Soot-covered items from a china cabinet destroyed in a fire may also look like a loss. Still, after testing residues and construction materials that make up the items, so the best cleaning application gets chosen, they may have complete restoration possibilities for reuse in the home.
During firefighting efforts, the first responders remove smoldering elements from the structure and contents and place them in the center of the room and douse it with water. More items and materials get added to this pile with copious amounts of water. When the fire gets extinguished, there is often a pile of very wet items and pieces of the home in the center of the room. This is the debris pile that SERVPRO techs go through to find restorable objects.
Frequently Seen Actions to Mitigate Fire Loss
Unfortunately, in the case of fire damage in a Wilmington property, it often needs to look worse to get restored fully. Charred building materials get removed as they contribute nothing but odor. It is not unusual to see a room with significant fire damage taken down to the framework when this occurs; the techs prep the structure for the needed repairs.
Regarding carpet, SERVPRO techs know carpeting is an investment and work hard to restore installed floor coverings. If the fibers do show evidence of damage from the heat, such as melting or deterioration from water, there is often restoration potential. The techs can clean and dry the carpet (also area rugs), and with their deep-reaching steam cleaners, leave the carpet refreshed without a sign of fire loss.
Hardwood flooring gets inspected on a case by case as many factors that are unique to the fire loss situation can affect the outcome of the restoration efforts.
Ceramic tile often fares the best of any of the flooring types customarily found in a home as long as the grout line seal does not receive damage from the heat. If the seal is intact, the subfloor gets protected from water and heat.
If the water used in firefighting efforts seeped into the subfloor as verified by the moisture detection equipment. The techs utilize several different types depending on the surface they are scoping. The devices allow them to peer under floors and other areas with ease to track the precise migration path of the water.
Mold Remediation Needs are Possible
As part of their extensive training in the restoration sciences, the techs are always on the lookout for signs of mold infestation. Naturally-occurring airborne spores can germinate whenever conditions are right and spread quickly throughout the structure. The techs know the early warning signs and take preventative measures to stop mold damage before it starts.
Restoration Goes Easier When You Use One Service for All
A home fire is one of the most stressful events that can affect a property owner. Years of investments in improvements, appliances, and valued collections may get ruined in a flash. Lumping the task of finding, vetting, and hiring a contractor to rebuild the damaged areas can be a headache. SERVPRO technicians have extensive on-going education for the latest in restoration techniques, and they also hold a general contractor license #1992104829, so they can shift from the cleanup to the reconstruction seamlessly. The techs can complete:
- Needed structural repairs
- Carpet installation
- And any other needed actions make the home ready for habitation
SERVPRO of Hockessin / Elsmere at (302) 992-0104 brings compassion and professionalism to every fire damage cleanup and restoration. Using a combination of their experience, advanced equipment, and expertise, they can return a home to its pre-fire condition.
What is the Best Response to Extensive Fire Damage Incidents in Wilmington?
SERVPRO from the Wilimington area can restore your home after fire damage
SERVPRO Can Offer You the Professional Assistance Necessary to Determine What to Discard or Salvage
When a fire ravages your Wilmington home, you might have a difficult time determining whether to remove everything for disposal or try to find ways to save some of the contents. The decision is rarely easy since several factors play a role, including:
• Level of damage on the items
• The monetary or sentimental value of items
• The level of work needed to salvage items
How does SERVPRO help determine what to save?
Scoping a property thoroughly after fire damage incidents in Wilmington is crucial in determining the appropriate response. Our technicians perform several steps during the scoping process to understand the loss better. We establish crucial details, such as:
• Depth of charring in wooden materials
• The type and amount of residue deposited on materials
• The items that have a sentimental value to you
During the scoping process, we also separate items into categories of salvageable, unsalvageable, and questionable based on the level of damage we identify.
Does professional restoration increase the chance of saving valuables?
Saving items affected by fire requires several processes, including cleaning, deodorization, and resurfacing, among others. Our technicians help by utilizing specialized techniques when performing these steps or liaising with specialized restoration services, which perform precise procedures for us, thus improving the outcome. Advanced cleaning procedures help with stain removal, removal of residues from surfaces without causing additional damages, among other things.
There is a variety of specialized restoration services out there offering services such as restoration of electronics, furniture refinishing, dry cleaning, document restoration, and art restoration. Our crew chiefs make the necessary plans, including contacting the specialty restorers and creating a schedule for them to collect the item at the job site or our warehouse in case of a move-out.
We attempt to restore fire damaged content to preloss condition whenever possible, "Like it never even happened."
The right response helps make fire loss bearable. Call SERVPRO of Hockessin / Elsmere at (302) 992-0104 to help. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
What is the Best Way to Dry Water Damaged Basements in Wilmington?
We are equipped and always on call for your restoration needs. Call us today!
Water Damage in Wilmington Home Office Needs Fast Help
Most basements get used as a catch-all for storage or a spare room. In the present, many homeowners use their basements as a home office, as so many work opportunities are available for home-based workers. When water damage happens, it can make it tough for someone to work from home.
Even with significant waterproofing efforts, water damage still can occur in Wilmington basements from unforeseen situations such as pipe breaks, a hot water tank fails and flash flooding. When a homeowner with a home-based business had a pipe break in their finished basement, they needed water cleanup and restoration services, to cause as little downtime as possible.
Move Out of Important Items
There was not a significant amount of water on the slab floor, but the homeowner could not use the home office during mitigation. SERVPRO techs moved out computer equipment, a desk and a filing cabinet needed to keep working in another area of the home, which also opened up the floor space for easier extraction of the water.
Along with water extraction, the techs cut away the sheetrock around the walls that wicked water to open up the area between the framing and the cinderblock walls for drying. Using portable pumps with squeegee attachments ensured that as much moisture as possible was raised to the surface and picked up. Any water left within the concrete substrate can get prompted to rise from the high-velocity airflow delivered by the centrifugal air movers.
Full Restoration Services
After completing the extraction and drying efforts, the techs offer any rebuilding or repairs necessary and through their general contractor license #1992104829. They have the experience and skill to do any rebuilding needed to bring the home to its preloss condition.
SERVPRO of Hockessin / Elsmere at (302) 992-0104 has certified techs available 24/7 for water damage cleanup and restoration in local properties to make the water loss, "Like it never even happened."
More about Wilmington.
We Act Fast In Wilmington After A Water Loss
We have the advanced drying equipment necessary to dry out the floors, and carpeting in your home after a pipe breaks.
Who Cleans Up the Water After a Pipe Breaks in My House?
Get the Help You Need from SERVPRO’s Highly Qualified Wilmington Residential Water Damage Restoration Team
The media covers storm-based water and flood damage relentlessly, but the reality is that most water losses result from aging or broken plumbing, accidental overflows, and appliance malfunctions. When the crisis is confined to your home rather than involving your community or region, you might wonder, is there any company willing to help with a one-household water emergency?
Is It Safe to Let Water Drain and Dry Out on Its Own?
Finding reliable, professional water cleanup in Wilmington is critical to protecting your home’s structure and your furnishings, household goods, and personal possessions. Even the clean water from a supply pipe is incredibly corrosive, powerful enough to cause the following issues, among others, if not removed from your dwelling fast:
- Deterioration and crumbling of drywall
- Warping of wood framing
- Rusting of metal supports and fasteners
- Saturation and weakening of subfloors
- Cupping, crowning, and buckling of hardwood floors
- Bulging and breakdown of ceiling tiles
- Blistering of paint and peeling of wallpaper
What Happens If I Wait A Few Days Before Dealing with Water Cleanup?
Understandably, you might want to take your time when responding to the effects of a water loss. For many other home safety and maintenance issues, common sense dictates that a homeowner investigates options and calls several experts for recommendations and bids. Unfortunately, after a residential water event, pausing even a few hours can result in permanent and irreparable damage.
What Are the Timeframes for Water Damage?
Water spreads far from the source, soaking contents and structural components. Painted and finished furniture stain carpets and other floor coverings. Some items like books, pictures, documents, and electronics sustain immediate damage and must be assessed for restoration quickly to prevent ruin.
Drywall and lath and plaster begin to swell and break up. Wooden furniture warps and upholstery stretches and seams split as padding absorbs moisture. Metal items tarnish and rust. Some molds begin growing in as few as 24 hours.
Doors and windows distort, becoming less plumb and failing to open and shut properly, creating security issues. Hardwood warps and newer laminate flooring experiences delamination, separating into layers and requiring removal and replacement. Wet carpeting provides the perfect environment for molds and mildews, which also proliferate on all organic surfaces and in building cavities.
Microbial growth continues, causing significant biohazard concerns for the health and welfare of occupants. The structural integrity of your home becomes more compromised day by day. Water cleanup delayed this long becomes more expensive, and you also run the risk of losing much of your furniture, clothing, window coverings, household items, and a broad range of personal items.
How Does a Professional Water Cleanup Company Respond if I Ask for Help?
SERVPRO knows that water emergencies do not occur only during regular business hours. We maintain our answering system 24/7 so you can expect an assessment during the critical first hours after the plumbing or appliance fail. Our managers and technicians master comprehensive training from the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC), preparing our team to use restoration industry best practices throughout your project. You can expect the following services:
- Expert Assessment of Your Scenario
Why do we take the time to investigate?
Every home is different, and we must locate utilities, debris, confined spaces, and potential contamination to design a restoration plan that meets all your needs for water cleanup and structural drying.
- Scene Securing and Emergency Services
What does our crew do first?
- Immediately after our crew chief gives the go-ahead, our technicians address:
- Slip, trip, and fall potential
- Barricading obvious hazards
- Electrical and other utility shut-offs for safety
- Commencement of pumping in water deeper than two inches
- Truck-mounted extraction of standing water
- Moisture Detection, Metering, and Thermal Imaging
Why do we check for hidden water and moisture migration?
If our technicians do not find and eliminate all trapped and pooled water, the liquids continue to break down building materials and create conditions conducive to mold growth. The data we record also give our Applied Structural Drying (ASD) technicians the information needed when determining drying goals and equipment placement.
- Application of the Principles of Psychrometry
Why Can’t We Just Let Our Homes Dry Out Naturally After Water Removal?
We all observe drying activity every day. Our hair dries after a shower and dishes dry on a rack. Plants wilt and die if the soil around their roots dries out. Is it vital to pay for structural drying?
Psychrometry is the science of drying. SERVPRO employees know how air, water, and temperature interact to evaporate moisture absorbed by permeable building materials. We manipulate these variables to encourage appropriate drying rates, assisted by dehumidifying equipment.
How do we determine the “normal” moisture content we strive to replicate as we dry structures?
We test similar materials in an unaffected space of your home or another comparable structure.
Can materials be dried too quickly?
Wood floors are an example of a structural component we must monitor continuously so that drying is steady and even, to avoid distortion, cracking, or shrinkage.
Our mission at SERVPRO of Hockessin / Elsmere is to help the residents of our community to recover rapidly and completely from water damage of any intensity. Call (302) 992-0104 to schedule a speedy assessment and plan for a successful outcome.
See more about Wilmington.