After a Storm
- Make contact with family and friends in the affected area and let those that you know outside of the affected area that you are safe.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe. Attempting to re-enter the area can be dangerous and it is important to wait until the area has been cleared as safe by officials.
- Avoid areas with debris and downed power lines.
- Avoid flood waters, whether on foot or in vehicle. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock a person down, and one foot of fast-moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
- Take note of any damage to your belongings or to your property
- Photograph any damage to your belongings/property for insurance purposes
- Tarp or board up damaged roofs and windows to prevent further damage. Your insurance may not cover additional damage that occurs after the storm has passed.