Preventing a Future Water Damage
Whether battling the cold and wet weather, or you are making sure your plumbing is secure, preventative actions should be taken against water damages to your home.
To protect your home from the outside elements you can:
- Make sure your home does not have peeling paint around windows or doors, in which water can easily damage the homes structure.
- Look for leaks around chimneys and plumbing and attic vents
- Make sure your air conditioner drains correctly, at a slope, away from outlets.
To prevent water damage that would originate from your plumbing and pipes:
- Wrap outside faucets
- Caulk pipes where they meet your home
- Disconnect garden hoses
- Drain in-ground sprinkler systems
- If your leaving your home for an extended period of time, turn off and drain your water system.